Friday, September 26, 2014

A Severe Accident with Ubuntu Kernel Update

I was being too young, sometimes naive to have the linux kernel updated since I believe it might resolve some of the bugs of the system.

The truth is: I'm wrong. After installing the latest kernel, which is 3.13.0-32-generic, I cannot boot into my system! It boots into the black screen instead.

It took me some time to resolve this, but it is actually very simple. In the grub menu, you can choose which kernel version you want to work with (in the advanced boot options). Choose the old one, and you will probably be able to have all the stuffs back.

What next? Remove all the latest kernels!

Do this:

sudo apt-get remove linux-image-3.13.0-32--generic

OK if you are unsure what kernel you have now use the following command:

cd /boot ls vmlinuz* 

It will list all the kernels you installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment